The Cannoli Fund believes that all cats and dogs, companion or “community,” deserve a high quality of life. The Cannoli Fund’s Cannolicare program provides financial assistance to King William and Lavaca residents and business owners (and their employees, if caring for an animal found in our service area) to help pay for veterinary medical expenses for cats and dogs in their care. Additionally, The Cannoli Fund may pay for euthanasia of animals in our service area that a veterinarian deems unlikely to benefit from treatment or unable to be saved, with the goal of relieving the animal’s suffering.
Cannolicare will provide up to $400 per animal for medical care necessary for the health of that animal, or to end the suffering of an animal that can’t be saved.
To qualify for a grant, the following criteria must be met:
- A person seeking a grant must reside in or own a business in, or be a business employee caring for an animal found in, either the King William or Lavaca neighborhoods of San Antonio, Texas.
- Grants provide for necessary medical treatment. This treatment is defined as a procedure that will either save the life of tor improve the quality of life of an animal. Types of medical care include, but are not limited to, services such as surgical or other treatment for broken bones or umbilical hernias, mange, wound care, surgery, heartworm disease, or other medical issues with a positive prognosis. This fund is not intended for the care of terminally ill animals. We will fund euthanasia of a suffering animal, as outlined above.
- An itemized receipt from the veterinary hospital must be submitted to The Cannoli Fund, PO Box 831444, San Antonio, TX 78283-1444, within 45 days of treatment. The receipt must also include the name and address of the person requesting the assistance.
- In the event of financial hardship where the grant recipient cannot pay the vet bill upfront, The Cannoli Fund may make arrangements to pay the veterinary clinic directly, up to the limit of $400. This may require consultation with the veterinary clinic by a representative of The Cannoli Fund before approval.
- Grant recipients must have a dog applying for Cannolicare microchipped and agree to register the chip immediately and to keep it updated as needed. Grant recipients also agree to keep a collar on the dog with a tag with a current phone number at all times. As of September 2017, the City of San Antonio’s Animal Care Services is offering free microchips to cats and dogs living in San Antonio. Your pet can be chipped at ACS or at any offsite Microchip Mania event. The Cannoli Fund will pay for a microchip, as needed.
Decisions as to the administration of this program will be made by the board of directors of The Cannoli Fund. This program may be discontinued at any time, at the discretion of board.